I’ve cracked it!

It’s always a bit nerve wracking coming back from a course and attempting to implement what you’ve learnt. Often I’m disappointed that I can’t achieve the effects I practiced whilst under the watchful eye of a tutor. However, thanks to the excellent tutoring of Bob Leatherbarrow I’m delighted to have been able to successfully ‘crackle’ at home. Here are pictures of my first piece.

More Hebden Bridge houses on their way to Skipton this weekend

Hebden Bridge houses with hill and canal

My Hebden Bridge houses will be making their first outing at Art in the Pen this weekend along with many other items and the work of 64 other artists.  So, if you are looking for something to do over this damp weekend please make your way over to the Skipton Auction Market on Saturday 13th – Sunday 14th 10am – 4pm.

Hebden Bridge houses with hill and canalTall houses

Hebden Bridge houses

copper foiled housesI am obsessed with our local Hebden Bridge houses.  Unusually tall, houses built out of Yorkshire stone rising in long rows on the hillside.  I have been trying, with limited success to represent them with glass.  My first attempt was some time ago using copper foil.  This picture took hours.  Wrapping the foil round the tiny windows and trimming it to size required enormous patience and although pleased with the result as a first attempt I vowed never to do it again.

Standing houses made from flossing glass

Then I took up fusing. My first experiments were with float and flossing (colour coated on one side) glass.  With this glass layering more than one layer with colour resulted in bubbling which couldn’t be controlled.  This image shows a row of standing houses made with a layer of flossing glass placed on top of float  glass and a further (bubbled) layer to make the windows.  Although seemingly fused together once slumped in a mould the two layers of glass seemed to move independently, the top layer slipping off the bottom float layer causing the vertical lines in this picture.  I am currently experimenting again with this idea with better glass.

Powder housesIn the meantime, a friend has requested I recreate the copper foiled picture for her above so, I have turned to experimenting with powders.  Here is my first attempt, hot out of the kiln.  The challenge here is to work out how much powder is needed and how to keep it within the desired shape.  I managed to knock this as I was placing something else next to it in the kiln and consequently ruined the bottom and one of the sides.

I am not a patient person but if I don’t ever learn anything else from my experiments with glass I think I will eventually learn patience.

Recycled glass trees!

I have been experimenting with smashing up glass bottles and fusing the results.  There is a mosaic project on its way – more about that soon but over the last few days I have been creating trees!  I have had this image in my head for some time of a row of trees made from glass.  I was hoping by smashing the bottles I would be able to retain some of the curves in the glass and thus add texture to the trees.   I layered the smashed glass in the kiln in to a tree shape and tacked fused.  A further tack fuse to join them together and then a slump onto a wave mould.  They are very delicate to touch and I’m not sure how long they would last.  I have some more on the way using bigger pieces of glass which should be more robust but I like the detail in these created by using so many small pieces.  More experimentation needed I think.